Global Observatory for eHealth – World Health Organization Initiative
eHealth is the use of information and communication technologies (ICT) for health. It is recognised as one of the most rapidly growing areas in health today….
…[in 2005] WHO launched the Global Observatory for eHealth (GOe), an initiative dedicated to the study of eHealth—its evolution and impact on health in countries.
Mission and objectives
The Observatory’s mission is to improve health by providing Member States with strategic information and guidance on effective practices and standards in eHealth.
Its objectives are to:
- provide relevant, timely, and high-quality evidence and information to support national governments and international bodies in improving policy, practice, and management of eHealth;
- increase awareness and commitment of governments and the private sector to invest in, promote, and advance eHealth;
- generate knowledge that will significantly contribute to the improvement of health through the use of ICT; and
- disseminate research findings through publications on key eHealth research topics as a reference for governments and policy-makers.
Accomplishments of the observatory so far…
- A global survey on eHealth to determine a series of benchmarks at national, regional, and global levels in the adoption of the necessary foundation actions to support the growth of eHealth. 2009 survey results may be found here.
- Global Observatory for ehealth series (and other publications)to help member states and international organizations improve policy, practice, and management of ehealth.
So far 4 titles in the ehealth series have been published
Safety and security on the Internet: challenges and advances in Member States
Atlas of eHealth country profiles
- WHO Global Observatory for eHealth series Mentions Webicina.com! (scienceroll.com)
- eHealth2012 – Vienna, Austria – 10-11 May, 2012 (imianews.wordpress.com)
- Receive free Health IT education from the National eHealth Collaborative (medicineandtechnology.com)
- Mobile health: Hallelujah or bah humbug? (finance.fortune.cnn.com)
- 3rd International eHealth Conference, Lahore, Pakistan; January 21-22, 2012 – Call for Papers (imianews.wordpress.com)
- eHealth and Patient Engagement: Be ‘Now’ or Be Gone (recruitingforhealthcarejobs.wordpress.com)
- Health IT innovators and providers collide at eHealth summits (medcitynews.com)