Health and Medical News and Resources

General interest items edited by Janice Flahiff

Rhode Island Hospital study identifies the danger of grill brushes

Accidental ingestion of wire bristles has led to the need for surgery

Video at 42195.php?from=208627

From the 28 March article at Science News Daily

PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Rhode Island Hospital physicians identified six cases of accidental ingestion of wire grill brush bristles that required endoscopic or surgical removal. The paper calls attention to the need for the public and physicians to be aware of this potential danger. It is published in the American Journal of Roentgenology and is now available online in advance of print.

David Grand, M.D., a radiologist in the diagnostic imaging department at Rhode Island Hospital, is the lead author of the paper. Grand explains that six patients were identified within an 18-month period who presented to the emergency department within 24 hours of ingesting grilled meat. Their symptoms were odynophagia (painful swallowing in the mouth or esophagus) or abdominal pain.

In all cases, a careful history revealed the patients had consumed meat cooked on a grill that was cleaned with a wire brush immediately prior to cooking…..

March 29, 2012 - Posted by | Consumer Safety | , ,

1 Comment »

  1. My mother found something that may well have been another example of this phenomenon in a restaurant: got a free lunch out of the it. Fortunately, she noticed it pre-ingestion as decided to skip the rest of the experience!

    Comment by gregmercer601 | March 29, 2012 | Reply


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: